Sunday, July 4, 2010

Wok The Fu*k - How to Hold Your Wok

You thought this was rude didn't you, well sorry to disappoint... if it's crude stuff you're after it's best to leave my blog NOW!

Back to the serious art of cooking... now where was I... thats right, how to hold your wok whilst cooking.

If you have a wok that has two small handles, one on each side, use an old face washer or flannel as my nanna used to call them, to hold your wok whilst cooking.  Wet the face washer, squeeze out all of the water then fold it in half so that you have a rectangle; fold it in half again so that it becomes a square.


Now hold your wok like I'm holding mine in the photo below.


Contrary to what we are taught in Western cooking i.e. not to pick up anything hot with a wet cloth, when I learnt Chinese cooking I was taught the opposite.  The wet cloth actually prevents you from burning yourself and is less likely to catch fire near the intense heat.  If the handle starts to get too hot, simply rinse your cloth in cold water, squeeze out excess water and fold again as above.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marlow, thank you for visiting my blog, I'm thrilled that I've had a hit from Italy:) You're in an amazing part of the world! I've visited Rome, Venice, Turino, Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi and the Isle of Capri but would love to see more. I guess at the moment I can only travel via the internet so Photosphera seems to be the perfect place.

    ReplyDelete