Sunday, July 18, 2010

MasterChef & Alvin's Pork Belly - Greed, Wrath & Sloth

I made Alvin's Caramelised Pork Belly yesterday but unfortunately it wasn't a great hit. I've made quite a few pork belly recipes including Pork Adobo and Chairman Mao's Red Braised Pork with Water Chestnuts which are fantastic but this just didn't cut it.  There was just too much brown sugar in this recipe for my liking and if I were to do it again I would caramelise the pork in a totally different way albeit a much safer way.  You see, I had a slight problem with the step that you deep fry the pork pieces after simmering them.  I thought that it was just a tad too dangerous as the oil splattered absolutely everywhere.  The recipe did say, "...be careful oil will spit when pork is added..." but this was an understatement.  It was like dodging missiles as every time I heard a pop sound I had to weave my entire body so that I wouldn't get wounded. Oil was spitting at every level imaginable and I did end up with a medium size blister on my right hand - the oil spat and sizzled as it took away layers of my skin in the seconds before I plunged my hand into cold water.  By this time I was so fed up I ended up pouring cold oil into the wok, blanching the pork belly then popping the strained pork into the oven to brown.  Afterwards, my kitchen floor was like an ice skating rink as one could easily slide from the oven to the sink without difficulty because there was so much grease on the floor - yuk!  Thanks for this invention test Alvin as instead of invoking "Greed" from the seven deadly sins it invoked "Sloth" as the last thing I wanted to do was clean my entire kitchen.

Anyway, here are some of the shots that led to the end result, which by the way, did look pretty awesome on the plate - the finished dish not the raw pork!


Pork Belly disguised as Australian Pork Rashers.


And, how did I know it was Pork Belly... well, there was one tiny nipple positioned on top of one pork rasher.


Braising the pork with the spices.


Deep-fried pork pieces.


Crispy fried ginger.


Looks fantastic but greed turned to wrath as the kids decided that they didn't like it and mum turned into sloth coz she was sick of the mess in the kitchen.  Not quite MasterChef presentation or to the standards of Donna Hay but good enough for a mum who was under the pressure test to plate up.


Mmmm, what to do with the leftovers.........

BTW, I've committed the utmost cardinal sin by buying pork rashers from Woolworths. Normally, I do all of my shopping at Coles but by chance today, Woolworths was the closest store nearest my local Asian grocery shop. I still reckon Coles is a winner over Woollies.

3 comments:

  1. Finally made Alvin's Pork Belly's recipe tonite & ended with the most ever oiliest cooktop & kitchen floors ever & burning myself!I completely agree with you the deepfrying part is quite dangerously scary & next time I make it I'll definitely pass this step altogether & it should still be tasty.I actually only used half of of the required amount of the stock, caramel soy sauce & fish sauce & sugar & it was still rich & tasty.What's with the deeepfrying of the pork anyway???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I can't see the point in deep frying the pork as you can still achieve the same effect by reducing the braising liquid to a point where you've only got a cup of the stock left, adding the sugar (I prefer Indonesian Palm Sugar which is dark in colour), stir frying the pork and then adding a drizzle of dark soy sauce for colouring. The pork ends up really tender, it caramelises beautifully and tastes amazing. If you want to see the end result of my Chairman Mao's Red Braised Pork visit my old Hong Kong blog at http://dumplingdesignz@blogspot.com I adapted Fuschia Dunlop's Red Braised Pork recipe so if you'd like the details let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one a bit non-plussed by this dish. I've made it twice now, the second time just to be sure that the absence of a 'wow' factor wasn't because I'd mucked it up somewhere along the way on my first attempt. I think the pork was delicious after it's initial braising, I'm not sure that the caramelisation or frying enhanced it in anyway. The frying was a crazy experience - I certainly don't want to do that again!

    ReplyDelete